The Top Hazards In Construction
At GDI Insurance Agency, Inc, we know you’re good at your job and you love what you do. However, every time you come to work, you risk suffering an injury. The construction industry is one of the most hazardous in the United States, and many of the injuries that occur on construction sites are caused by these top four hazards: falls, struck-by, caught-in-between and electrocutions. Avoid these hazards in construction with these helpful tips.
When you have sufficient knowledge, preventing accidents caused by these hazards in construction is easier than you might think. Here are some basic safety tips to keep you injury-free.
Preventing Falls On Construction Site
- Wear and use fall arrest equipment.
- Install and maintain perimeter protection.
- Cover and secure all floor openings and label floor opening covers.
- Use ladders and scaffolds safely.
- Never position yourself between moving and fixed objects.
- Wear high-visibility clothing near equipment and vehicles so that others can see you clearly.
Preventing Caught-in-between Hazards
- Never enter an unprotected trench or excavation that is five feet or deeper without an adequate protective system in place. Some trenches that are less than five feet may need a similar system as well.
- Make sure that a trench or excavation is protected either by sloping, shoring, benching or a trench shield system.
- Locate and identify utilities before starting work for the day.
- Look for overhead power lines when operating any equipment.
- Maintain a safe distance away from power lines and learn your area’s distance requirements.
- Do not operate portable electric tools unless they are grounded or double insulated.
- Use ground-fault circuit interrupters for protection.
- Be alert to electrical hazards when working with ladders, scaffolds or other platforms.
GDI Insurance Agency, Inc Your Trusted Contractors Insurance Expert
If you are a Housing Developer, General Contractor, Solar Installation Contractor, Sub Contractor then you’ve come to the right place!
GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. provides California Contractors Insurance solutions specifically-tailored for construction businesses exactly like yours!
We Offer More Than Just Contractors Insurance
- We offer our clients a construction-specific employee safety manual that includes sections on common hazards in construction, such as silica exposure, heavy equipment operation and hazard communication.
- You also get access to our library of customizable workplace policies to keep your employees mindful of important construction safety practices. These policies cover topics such as permit-required confined spaces, respiratory protection and lockout/tagout procedures.
Download Our Free Guide “Construction Hazards and How To Avoid Them”
This quick guide will go over some solutions to the top hazards in the construction industry today.
- Fall protection (scope, application and definitions as well as training requirements)
- Hazard communication
- Respiratory protection
- Electrical (wiring methods, design and protection)
- Powered industrial trucks
- Electrical (general requirements)
- Machine guarding
California’s Leader in Insurance and Risk Management
As one of the fastest growing agencies in California, GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. is able to provide its clients with the latest and greatest of what the insurance industry has to offer and much, much more.
With locations across the heart of California’s Central Valley and beyond to provide a local feel to the solutions and services we provide our clients. We pride ourselves on exceeding our client’s expectations in every interaction to make sure that our client’s know how much we value and appreciate their business. Contact us today 1-209-634-2929 for your comprehensive contractors insurance quote!