The Harsh Reality of Distracted Driving
We see it daily on the roads of Turlock and California, Distracted Driving. So many times I have seen teenagers and adults looking at their phones and driving, and it is very concerning. The California Distracted Driving law prohibits driving while holding a cell phone in your hand. If the cell phone is used in a hands-free manner, such as voice command or the use of a mounting device, it is completely legal.
Every year, about 421,000 people are injured in crashes that have involved a driver who was distracted in some way. Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.
There are three main types of distraction:
- Visual: taking your eyes off the road;
- Manual: taking your hands off the wheel; and.
- Cognitive: taking your mind off of driving.
The Numbers Behind Distracted Driving
- Distracted driving accounts for approximately 25% of all motor vehicle crash fatalities.
- At the time of fatal crashes, teens have been the largest age group that reported being distracted while driving.
- Driver distraction is reported to be responsible for more than 58% of teen crashes.
- In 2015, 391,000 injuries were caused in distracted driving related accidents.
- In that same year, distracted driving was cited as a major factor in 3,477 traffic deaths.
- 9 people in the U.S. are killed each day as a result of crashes involving a distracted driver, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- It takes only 3 seconds after a driver’s attention has been diverted from the road for a crash to occur.
- Car crashes are the number one killer of teens in the U.S.
- 16 to 19 year-olds are three times as likely to be involved in a fatal car crash than any other age group.
- Distracted driving is commonly referred to as the, “new drunk driving”, since it follows the same psychological pattern. When drivers get away with driving distracted, they then continue to practice this bad habit until a crash occurs or until they are caught and suffer consequences.
The Great Multi-Tasking Lie
Teen Driver Safety
Educating new drivers with drivers education and driving school training is a great first step. But as a parent you can do even more! We have a teen driver contract to help you set important guidelines with your new driver.
GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. Your Trusted Insurance Brokers
As one of the fastest growing insurance agencies in California, GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. is able to provide its clients with the latest and greatest of what the insurance industry has to offer and much, much more.
With locations across the heart of California’s Central Valley and beyond to provide a local feel to the solutions and services we provide our clients. We pride ourselves on exceeding our client’s expectations in every interaction to make sure that our client’s know how much we value and appreciate their business. Contact us today 1-888-991-2929 for your insurance questions!