Mobile Device Security
Gone are the days when the most sensitive information on an employee’s phone was the names and phone numbers of their contacts. Now, a smartphone or tablet can be used to gain access to anything, including emails, stored passwords and even proprietary company data. Depending on how your organization uses such devices, unauthorized access to the information on a smartphone or tablet could be just as damaging as a data breach involving a traditional computer system. In order to protect your organization, there are a number of mobile device security measures to consider.
What Is Mobile Device Security?
Mobile device security refers to the measures taken to protect sensitive data stored on portable devices. It is also the ability to prevent unauthorized users from using mobile devices to access your business network. Examples of devices that require this type of protection include smartphones, laptops, tablets, wearables, and other portable devices.
Mobile devices can be hit with malicious mobile apps, phishing scams, data leakage, spyware, and unsecure WiFi networks. On top of that, businesses have to account for the possibility of the either the employee losing the mobile device or the device being stolen.
What Mobile Device Security Measures to Consider:
- Establish a mobile device policy—Before issuing mobile phones or tablets to your employees, establish a device usage policy. Provide clear rules about what constitutes acceptable use as well as what actions will be taken if employees violate the policy. It is important that employees understand the security risks inherent to mobile device use and how they can mitigate those risks. Well-informed, responsible users are your first line of defense against cyber attacks.
a bring your own device (BYOD) policy—If you allow employees to use their
personal devices for company business, make sure you have a formal BYOD policy
in place. Your BYOD security plan should also include the following practices:
- Installing remote wiping software on any personal device used to store or access company data.
- Educating and training employees on how to safeguard company data when they access it from their own devices.
- Informing employees about the exact protocol they must follow if their device is lost or stolen.
- Keep the devices updated with the most current software and anti-virus program—Software updates to mobile devices often include patches for various security holes, so it’s best practice to install the updates as soon as they’re available. There are many options to choose from when it comes to anti-virus software for mobile devices, so it comes down to preference. Some are free to use, while others charge a monthly or annual fee and often come with better support.
- Back up device content regularly—Just like your computer data should be backed up regularly, so should the data on your company’s mobile devices. If a device is lost or stolen, you’ll have peace of mind knowing your valuable data is safe.
Mobile Device Usage
The number of mobile phone users around the world is projected to exceed the five billion mark by 2019. This rapid increase, unfortunately, sees cyber criminals adapting and changing their methods to profit from this growing number of potential victims.
Because of their convenience, smartphones and tablet devices have become a universal presence in the modern business world. As usage soars, it becomes increasingly important to take steps to protect your company from mobile threats, both new and old.
For more cyber security strategies you can use to protect your businesses, contact GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. today at 209-634-2929.
California’s Leader in Insurance and Risk Management
As one of the fastest growing agencies in California, GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. is able to provide its clients with the latest and greatest of what the insurance industry has to offer and much, much more.
We are headquartered in Turlock, CA, with locations across the heart of California’s Central Valley, Northern California and beyond to provide a local feel to the solutions and services we provide our clients. We pride ourselves on exceeding our client’s expectations in every interaction to make sure that our client’s know how much we value and appreciate their business. Contact us today 1-209-634-2929 for your comprehensive cyber liability insurance quote!