Get Ready For Motorcycle Season
As we approach motorcycle season, we’ve got tips from motorcycle safety to theft protection and even what type of motorcycle insurance you should have. There’s nothing like getting on your motorcycle and going for a ride! At GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. we want to make sure you and your motorcycle are always protected. Contact us for your free motorcycle insurance quote 209-634-2929.
Motorcycle Season Means Safety First
There is a growing trend in the number of motorcycle fatalities and accidents each year, making motorcycle safety a real concern for riders. Read on for some basic tips to help you arrive at your destination…safely.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents:
- Motorists fail to see riders when they are coming out of a driveway, making a left turn in front of an oncoming rider or when the motorcycle is in the driver’s “blind spot.”
- Many riders do not obtain the proper motorcycle license and training to learn how to properly operate the bike.
- Riders speed excessively while also weaving in and out of traffic lanes.
- Riders are under the influence of drugs or alcohol—the cause of almost half of all motorcycle accidents.
Safety Tips For Riders
- Attend motorcycle training courses and get a license specifically for a motorcycle. California Motorcyclist Training is just one example of a motorcycle training programs.
- Always wear a helmet and other appropriate gear.
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs while operating a motorcycle.
- Practice using the controls and gears while your bike is off and parked.
- Follow posted speed limits.
- Look out for hazards such as potholes, cracks and bumps in the road.
- Exercise extreme caution when you are carrying passengers.
Safety First This Motorcycle Season
As mentioned above, accidents are commonly cause by motorists failing to see riders. To increase the odds of a motorist seeing you before it is too late:
- Do not tailgate or weave between lanes if traffic is slow.
- Abide by traffic laws, just like motorists are expected to do.
- Always use turn signals to warn motorists of your intentions.
Prevent Motorcycle Theft
Since motorcycles are easily accessible, they are highly prone to theft. If you like to hit the open road on two wheels, be mindful of these theft prevention guidelines to avoid having your bike taken.
Tips To Keep Your Motorcycle Safe
- When you get off your bike, shut off the ignition and then lock it.
- Lock the forks (disk brakes).
- Purchase locks that are brightly colored to discourage potential thieves.
- Lock multiple motorcycles together if you are traveling in a pack.
- If you are riding alone, lock your motorcycle to a stationary object that cannot be dismantled such as a light pole.
- Install an alarm on your bike that sounds when it is tampered with.
- Check on your bike periodically when you are at a public event, especially shortly after you arrive.
- Park your bike in front of a security camera or close to your room, when staying at a hotel for the evening.
- Store the title for your motorcycle in your home; not in the compartments or saddlebags on your bike.
- Mark your bike with a unique symbol or mark and take photographs of that. If your motorcycle is stolen, you can present this information to the police.
- Always keep your motorcycle registration and insurance information with you when riding.
Especially if You Are Selling Your Motorcycle
Motorcycle thieves may try and steal your bike when you are putting it up for sale. When potential buyers come to test drive your bike:
- Withhold the title until you have conducted a background check on the potential buyer and his/her payment has cleared.
- Verify the buyer’s personal information and cross reference it with their identification.
Reducing Risks for Riders
There’s nothing like the freedom you feel when riding but if you’re on the road, you’re at risk. To ensure you’ve got the coverage and financial protection you need, consider the following motorcycle insurance coverage options.
Liability Insurance Coverage
Required by most states, liability insurance covers bodily
injury and property damage that you may cause to other people involved in an accident.
Bodily injury liability – typically covers the other driver or your passenger’s expenses such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Property
damage liability – typically covers the expense of repairing damage to others’ property (vehicles, homes, fences, etc.).
Collision Insurance Coverage
Collision insurance covers damage, minus your deductible, to your motorcycle if you are involved in an accident. Keep in mind, collision insurance usually covers the book value of the motorcycle before the loss occurred.
Comprehensive Insurance Coverage
Comprehensive coverage pays for damages caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. However, just like collision insurance coverage, your policy will pay for damages, minus your deductible, and will cover only the book value of the motorcycle.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance coverage covers damages to you and your property caused by another driver who either is uninsured or underinsured to cover your damages. This coverage typically pays for medical treatment, lost wages and other damages.
Optional Equipment Coverage
If you decide to customize your motorcycle, you should look into obtaining additional or optional equipment coverage. Most comprehensive and collision insurance coverages will only cover the factory standard parts on your motorcycle.
Is a “Lay-up” Right for You?
There’s no need to fully insure your motorcycle if it’s stored for an extended period of time. With a lay-up insurance policy, all coverage except comprehensive is suspended for a specified period of time. Ask us for more details about this more affordable seasonal coverage option.
Motorcycle Season and Beyond – We’re Here to Help!
Call our office today at 209-634-2929 to learn more about all of our affordable vehicle insurance and personal risk management solutions.
California’s Leader in Insurance and Risk Management
As one of the fastest growing agencies in California, GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. is able to provide its clients with the latest and greatest of what the insurance industry has to offer and much, much more.
We are headquartered in Turlock, CA, with locations across the heart of California’s Central Valley, Northern California and beyond to provide a local feel to the solutions and services we provide our clients. We pride ourselves on exceeding our client’s expectations in every interaction to make sure that our client’s know how much we value and appreciate their business. Contact us today 1-209-634-2929 for your comprehensive motorcycle insurance quote!