Boat Safety Tips
Head out to sea without injury. Water sports, relaxing in the sun and splashing in the water are great ways to make memories with family and friends. Sea lovers must be careful near the marina and dock, though, to assure that their getaways are safe ones. If you are hitting the open waters this season, don’t forget these boat safety tips!
What You Need To Know Before You Take Your Boat Out!
- Use forward and reverse at an idle speed when docking and moving your boat near the marina.
- Have bumpers, mooring lines and boat hooks ready before docking.
- Keep all body parts in the boat until you have come to a complete stop.
- Tie the line that holds the boat against the wind first when docking.
General Boating Precautions:
- Dock at a marina that has standpipes, fire extinguishers, good lighting, surveillance cameras and security measures in place.
- Always wear personal flotation devices when on the water, especially those that cannot swim and children.
- Do not swim near a marina since boaters cannot see you when they are trying to dock.
- Wear non-slip shoes on the boat and dock.
- Keep your boat in good condition with all equipment meeting safety standards established in your area.
- Assure that the marina has the proper power voltage for your boat.
- Add fuel to portable tanks on the dock only; never on the deck of your boat.
Boat Safety First
To avoid a potential fire onboard, inspect fuel hoses and containers on a regular basis to prevent the escaping vapors from going into bilges. Also, check the wiring and all appliances on deck for damage frequently.
As a boat safety precaution, keep fire extinguishers on deck and fit smoke detectors to the cabin.
What You Need To Know About Boat Insurance
A small boat, such as a canoe or other un-motorized boat, is typically covered under the personal property portion of your homeowners insurance policy. If you own a larger, faster boat, you’ll need a separate boatowners insurance policy. A typical boatowners insurance policy is designed to protect your boat, motor, equipment and passengers. It affords similar coverages to those you typically have for your car including:
- Physical Damage: Physical damage coverage insures your boat, motor, boat trailer, boat equipment (anchors, oars, fuel tanks, life jackets, dinghies, tools, etc.) and other personal property against theft, accidental loss or damages.
- Liability: Two principal liability coverages are included:
- Personal Liability – A boatowners insurance policy provides protection for legal liability and pays, up to the limit of your policy, the legal obligations imposed upon you due to an accident resulting from the ownership, maintenance, or use of your watercraft, including bodily injury, property damage and legal defense.
- Medical Payments– This pays medical expenses, up to the limits in the policy, including the insured’s boating-related medical expenses from an accident arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of the boat.
Additional Boat Insurance Options
For added protection, consider the following additional coverage options:
- Reasonable Repairs: Covers repairs incurred to protect covered property from further damage.
- Emergency Service: Pays for reasonable costs that you incur resulting from specified emergency service to your boat, motor or boat trailer.
- Wreck Removal: Pays the reasonable expenses you incur for any attempted or actual raising, removal or destruction of the wreck of your watercraft when damage is caused by an insured loss and removal or destruction is required by law.
- Umbrella Liability: Provides additional boat insurance coverage across the board for home, auto and watercraft.
Top Ways to Save on Boat Insurance
- Running your boat on diesel fuel instead of gas reduces both your risk and insurance premium
- Complete an approved safety course through the Coast Guard, U.S. Power Squadrons, Red Cross or other state administered course
- Ask about our multi-policy discount
California’s Leader in Insurance and Risk Management
As one of the fastest growing agencies in California, GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. is able to provide its clients with the latest and greatest of what the insurance industry has to offer and much, much more.
We are headquartered in Turlock, CA, with locations across the heart of California’s Central Valley, Northern California and beyond to provide a local feel to the solutions and services we provide our clients. We pride ourselves on exceeding our client’s expectations in every interaction to make sure that our client’s know how much we value and appreciate their business. Contact us today 1-209-634-2929 for your comprehensive boat insurance quote!