Christmas Light Safety
Holiday lights and inflatable decorations can add so much ambiance to the inside and outside of your home.
Follow these tips to keep your home safe when using holiday lights:
- Use lights as intended: indoor for indoor use only, and outdoor for outdoor use only.
- Look for the UL safety rating on all electrical decorations. This ensures that they have been tested for safety hazards.
- Throw away light strings that are cracked or have exposed or loose wires.
- Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house, walls or other firm support to protect from wind damage.
- Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
- Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Lights could short and start a fire.
- Prevent electrical cord damage.Don’t mount lights in a way that might damage the cords, and avoid using nails or tacks. Use hooks or insulated staples instead.
- Secure your inflatable decorations so that they don’t blow away during a storm.
- When stringing lights and decorations above your normal reach, make sure you use a proper ladder with someone supporting the base.
Even More Ways To Avoid Holiday Disasters
- Don’t burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. Paper can catch fire very quickly and can cause flash fires. Instead, recycle (or better yet, reuse!) your wrapping paper.
- Remove all wrapping papers from your tree and fireplace areas immediately after presents are opened.
- Keep candles on a sturdy base to prevent tipping. Never leave a lit candle unattended.
- Avoid decorations that look like candy or food if you have young children — or pets — in the house.
- Beware of poisonous plants. While festive, poinsettias are poisonous when eaten, so keep them out of reach of kids and pets.
- Never place trimming near open flames or electrical connections.
Wishing You a Safe Holiday Filled With Love and Happiness.
Of course, if you have any questions about your insurance, be sure to give us a call! GDI Insurance Agency Inc. – 209-634-2929