Tips For Going Green At Home
Using renewable energy sources is a wonderful way to preserve Mother Nature and do wonders for your pocket book. There are two types of alternate energy sources that are particularly popular ways to conserve: wind generators and solar power. Going green at home can be easier than you might think. For affordable California Home Insurance, be sure to contact GDI Insurance Agency, Inc 209-634-2929.
Using Renewable Energy Sources
Benefits of Solar Power
Solar power does not release any pollutants, so it’s a great way to be eco-friendly and save a bundle on your utility bills. Some additional benefits include:
- The federal government passed the Energy Law in August of 2005, which provides homeowners up to a 30 percent tax credit for the cost of a solar energy system, up to $2,000.
- Solar panels can convert energy straight into heat can heat water and/or swimming pools easily.
- Solar panels provide electricity long after the sun goes down because of the storage batteries in the panels.
Wind generators produce energy as the naturally occurring wind spins the turbine. Some things to keep in mind include:
- The amount of energy produced each day will vary; however, wind power is free and tends to significantly reduce electricity bills.
- Your local utility company may have rules against using wind energy.
- Wind generators are costly to purchase (though electricity savings far outweigh initial costs in the long run).
- Many municipalities provide tax breaks for using alternative energy.
Live Green In Every Room in Your Home
Living green, building green and surrounding yourself with earth-friendly products minimizes the negative impact you have on the natural world. By abiding by green principles, not only are you keeping your family from getting sick, you are also looking out for Mother Nature’s limited resources.
Tips For Green Living At Home
Here are some earth-friendly tips for your home:
- Install Energy Star appliances certified by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Use recycled, chlorine-free toilet paper, facial tissues and petrochemical-free cosmetics.
- Use baking soda, vinegar and tea tree oil to disinfect your bathroom as opposed to traditional cleaning products made with harsh chemicals. There are also many commercial natural cleaners available now.
- Line dry your clothes instead of drying them in the dryer.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and only turn it back on to rinse.
- Keep your heat low. For every degree that you turn your thermostat below 70, you can save 320 pounds of greenhouse gases (natural gas heat) or 236 pounds of electric heat.
- Use LED light bulbs throughout your house to significantly reduce your electricity bill and the amount of energy used.
- Increase insulation in your attic, walls and flooring.
- Recycle whenever possible (cardboard, cans, glass, even Ziploc bags etc.) Putting less in the landfill.
- Stop using disposable shopping bags and invest in reusable bags.
- Use a reusable water bottle instead of plastic disposable bottles.
- Turn off your computer at night.
- Use natural light as much as possible, turning off lights in empty rooms.
- Pay your bills online, using email instead of paper.
- Use both sides of paper, even if it is for your kids to draw on.
- Eat at local restaurants that use local ingredients.
- Lower the temperature on your hot water heater.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins.
- Donate to and shop at Thrift Stores.
- Plant a tree.
- Watch for electronic and hazardous material recycling events instead of dumping in the landfill.
Conservation is key in preserving resources for future generations. By using alternative energy sources, you are not only helping the planet now, you are doing your part to conserve for your children’s future.
Growing native plants in your garden is much friendlier on the environment since they have evolved to survive in the climate in which you live. These plants do not need much help to grow and require less than half the amount of water to survive as compared to non-native plants.
California’s Leader in Insurance and Risk Management
As one of the fastest growing agencies in California, GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. is able to provide its clients with the latest and greatest of what the insurance industry has to offer and much, much more.
We are headquartered in Turlock, CA, with locations across the heart of California’s Central Valley, Northern California and beyond to provide a local feel to the solutions and services we provide our clients. We pride ourselves on exceeding our client’s expectations in every interaction to make sure that our client’s know how much we value and appreciate their business. Contact us today 1-209-634-2929 for your comprehensive home insurance quote!