Safety precautions for Agricultural Workers
According to Iowa State University, tractor accidents are the main cause of farming deaths. As a result of losing control of the machine, operators get run over and crushed. To prevent these injuries on the job, follow these safety precautions:
- Read the instruction manual and receive the proper training before operating the machinery.
- Inspect the equipment before use.
- Equip machinery with proper fire extinguishers and first-aid supplies.
- Start the engine in an open space to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- DO NOT CARRY PASSENGERS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!
During Use Precautions:
- Get on and off the machine on the left side to avoid hitting the controls.
- Descend extremely slowly on sloping ground.
- Refuel only when the engine is cool.
Wear protective equipment…
To avoid injury from a tractor overturn, wear ROPS and assure that the tractor has FOPS installed. Driving a tractor on a steep incline, debris in your path and using a front-end loader can cause the tractor to overturn extremely easily. Avoid areas that are steep and reduce your speed while on rough terrain.
Like these tips? Your GDI Insurance agent can let you in on more safety pointers to avoid injury on your farm!