California Business Owners Policy (BOP)
California business owners have a lot to consider when choosing insurance that fully protects their business. One coverage option, a business owners policy (BOP), can take the guesswork out of the process. A BOP bundles several types of coverage in one package, similar to the way a homeowners policy works, but is designed for small and midsized businesses. Contact GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. today 209-634-2929 for your Business Owners Policy quote!
BOP Key Features
A Business Owners Policy generally combines the following types of coverage in one convenient bundle:
- Commercial property insurance—Covers losses to property from common perils. It also covers office equipment, furniture, inventory, machinery, raw materials, computers and anything else that is vital to business operations.
- General liability insurance—Covers a company’s legal responsibility for any harm it may cause to others, up to the policy limit. It also covers attorney fees and medical bills for anyone injured by the company.
- Business interruption insurance—Reimburses for loss of income if a covered disaster interferes with the successful operation of the business.
What Are The Exclusions of BOP?
Although a BOP is a convenient insurance option for small to midsized business owners, it does not cover professional liability, commercial auto insurance and workers’ compensation. Workers’ life, health and disability coverage is also excluded. For those exclusions, business owners can purchase separate insurance policies.
Other exclusion examples include the following:
- Crime coverage—Although it is minimal, crime coverage can be added to a BOP to cover losses as a result of crime, such as employee dishonesty and computer fraud. Typical crime coverage ranges between $1,000 and $5,000.
- Data breach coverage—This coverage is commonly added to BOPs to help remedy the following losses resulting from data breaches:
- Notifying impacted individuals
- Hiring crisis communication consultants
- Defense and settlement costs from associated lawsuits
- Replacement of lost income
- Extortion and ransom payments
- Errors and omissions (E&O) coverage—Businesses that provide services for a fee can be sued by customers who claim that they were harmed because the business failed to perform its job properly. E&O coverage pays for any judgment for which the insured is found legally liable, up to the policy limit. It also covers legal defense costs.
Ideal Candidates for a Business Owners Policy
California Businesses that have the following characteristics are ideal candidates for a BOP:
- Operate in a physical location, whether home-based or outside the home
- Have assets that can be stolen, including products, cash, furniture and digital property
- Are at a high risk for lawsuits
- Employ less than 100 employees and have less $5 million in sales
The following types of businesses frequently purchase BOPs to protect from losses not covered by general liability insurance:
- Religious organizations
- Technology consultants and solutions providers
Is your California Business Eligible for a BOP?
Small to midsized businesses need to meet specific criteria to be eligible for a BOP. When determining eligibility, insurers consider factors that include the type of business, size of its primary location, class of business and revenue.
Premiums for BOP policies are based on eligibility factors, as well as financial stability, building construction, security features and fire hazards.
When purchasing business insurance, it is important to obtain the right amount. Contact GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. for guidance as to whether a BOP is a logical choice for your business.
California’s Leader in Insurance and Risk Management
As one of the fastest growing agencies in California, GDI Insurance Agency, Inc. is able to provide its clients with the latest and greatest of what the insurance industry has to offer and much, much more.
With locations across the heart of California’s Central Valley and beyond to provide a local feel to the solutions and services we provide our clients. We pride ourselves on exceeding our client’s expectations in every interaction to make sure that our client’s know how much we value and appreciate their business. Contact us today 1-209-634-2929 for your comprehensive Business Owners Policy (BOP) insurance quote!